Friday, May 18, 2012

Posh Princess Preschool {Letter Vv}


V is for: Violin and Vegetables

This week was a little tricky to plan. 

Since I struggled to find what I needed for her, I made my very first printable pack to go along with our book Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin by Lloyd Moss.

(I’m currently trying to decide if I want to start offering printables here.  It would mean a few changes, so let me know if you are interested in them, and I’ll see if there is a need.) 

**Revised:  I just added the link (above) to the printables.  Please try them out and let me know how you liked them!**

DSC01493DSC01495

DSC01499

We got out our standards: Word Whammer, Confessions of a Homeschooler Handwriting Page and Play-doh page.

DSC01502

This is a new one, used last week that she really enjoyed, an Alphabet Dough Stamp with her COAH Letter Hunt Worksheet.

DSC01504

Here is our Purpllinker in a letter V.

DSC01961

She stamped a letter V. And then shared with me that she’d rather not stamp anymore.
“I’m kinda….bored with those….”

ZinZinZin

This is the printable pack that I made her to go along with Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin.  The book is a fantastic introduction to a Symphony. 




The pack goes over: Musical Instrument Classification, Instrument Vocabulary, Musical Ensemble Words, and a few other activities like Violin Size Sort, and Number Clip Cards.

I worked really hard to make this introduction fun – and she LOVED it!  We did the pack everyday and she is still talking about it a week later. 

DSC01506

Violin Size Sort.  This activity is pretty easy for her now.

DSC01508

Going over the vocabulary cards.  There are 10 of them.  She wanted to go through them in the same order as the book.

DSC01510

DSC01512

She sorted out instruments according to standard musical classification.  The only one that isn’t included is percussion (which is not in the book).  We did talk about it though, and I am thinking of a way to incorporate it in.

DSC01513

DSC01516

We talked about different musical ensembles: Solo, Duet, Trio, etc….

DSC01517

DSC01519DSC01520

No pack is complete without clip cards!  She is finally getting more comfortable with numbers 8-10.

DSC01521

Another great activity that we did was listen to the various instruments.  This was fun for me to watch Elaina as she listened to each instrument and then tried to describe each sound.  She said the flute was happy, while the cello seemed sad.

DSC01545

We read through the book, Nina's Waltz which she loved!  She wished there was a CD to go along with it to hear what the waltz would have sounded like...

We got to bring our school work outside one day! 

We laid out a big blanket under a tree in the backyard.  So much fun!

DSC01546DSC01547

DSC01551

We included a bunch of our vegetable and nutrition activities this week.  Many of them were repeated from the Nutrition Unit that we did last winter.  This is a Vegetable Letter Tile set from Making Learning Fun.

DSC01575

A yummy veggie snack, gobbled up quickly!

DSC01579DSC01601

DSC01607

She worked through her Kumon Maze Book, and a color-by-letter book that she’s been working on.

DSC01622

V is for Vegetable Magnet Page from Making Learning Fun.

DSC01630DSC01632

Smallest object page and letter hunt page…

DSC01634

This is a set of Letter V Vocabulary Cards from Homeschool Share.

DSC01711

DSC01712DSC01718

Here are two different Vegetable File folder games that I made a few years back.  One is sorting out veggies and fruits, the other is sorting out stems, leaves, roots, and seeds.  The only one she doesn’t
like is the radish (that she finally got to taste thanks to Mr. Jason!)

DSC01725

 DSC01736DSC01733

DSC01734

She did lots of coloring and cut out a picture of a vulture.

DSC01744DSC01747DSC01748
DSC01749

Love those waves!

DSC01777

We are slowly working though My First Piano Adventures.  She loves it, but gets frustrated that she can’t get it right on the first try….oh perfectionism….

DSC01778DSC01781

DSC01787

We had out all of our instruments and made our own symphony!  Both girls had fun fighting over playing with them all week.

DSC01788

DSC01981DSC01983

For a fun ABC review, we played Beginning Sounds Bingo.


Just For Fun

DSC01962

Our sweet cat Maycee had kittens on Mother’s Day.  All the kids are so excited!  Elaina has prayed nearly every day:

 Dear Heavenly Lord,  Thank you for my new kittens.  Please change my mom and dad’s mind so they will let us keep all of them.  Amen.

DSC01964

They are pretty sweet! 

9 comments:

Tanya said...

Fantastic job on the printable pack! How fun to do school outside!

Stefanie said...

Love how you used the letter hunt sheets. Awesome!

Popping in from pre-k corner.

Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by! We love those COAH preschool printables!

Unknown said...

That Alphabet Dough Stamp is really cool. I might need to pick up a set...

The printable pack you made is incredible! We are a very musical family. I'm going to use this with my guys.

Sarah said...

Thanks Allison! I found those dough stamps for $3 at a thrift store. Awesome find!

I have to try to figure out how to host the printables....I wondered if anyone would even use them and if it was worth looking into. Thanks for the feedback!

Unknown said...

Great activities this week! Your printables turned out awesome! I'd use any that were within my little guy's ability level for sure!

Elaina's wavy hair is beautiful!

Liz Evans said...

i love the musical pack! and the dough stamps is a great idea!

Sarah said...

Thanks Jenny! I think I have the printables figured out...I let you know as soon as I get them up!

We braided her hair the night before-I always love it that way!

Sarah said...

Thank you Liz! So glad you have stopped by!