Sunday, September 22, 2013

Peek at our Week {September 22}


Peek at our Week Mudpies and Makeup

What a drizzly way to start off our week!


The rain we’ve been having is very strange.  Lots of local flooding.  Even our street was overwhelmed by so much rain that it covered the sidewalks and up several feet of our driveway.


DSC06272

DSC06274

When the rain was (mostly) over, the neighbors pooled together to clean up all the rock and debris that washed down with all the rain.  We lost most of our landscape mulch, which we weren’t too sad to see go.  Neither of us liked the bright red bark too much.

DSC06277

DSC06278

DSC06282

In our journaling time this week, the kids wrote out sections of the poem, “The Boy Who Wouldn’t Share”, and then memorized it.  I’m so proud of them!

DSC06284DSC06405

Both of the boys did their state testing this week.  This year we opted for both Fall and Spring testing to get a better gage for what kind of progress they are making.

DSC06299
DSC06306

DSC06304

Because of the testing, we had kind of strange week of school.  The kids did a lot of independent type work, and some outdoor nature studies (AKA digging for worms and other gross things.)


DSC06295

I had a lot of opportunities to work with Nate to try and asses where he is at with Math.  We’d made what I thought was great progress over the summer, but now that he’s been without a math book for over a month or so, he seems to have slipped some behind again.  There was a lot of review, a lot of instruction, and a lot of tears too.  Poor guy.

DSC06378

These timed drills really stress him out.  I’m hoping that he will start seeing improvement in his time and accuracy and that will motivated him a bit. 

DSC06379

DSC06361

DSC06365

Elaina has been very craft minded lately.  She’s drawing every chance she gets and jumps at the opportunity to do anything that involves glue, glitter, and paint.

DSC06372
DSC06373

DSC06286

She is no longer giving me any trouble about her reading lessons, and seems to be actually enjoying them.  I think it has helped to just give her more time and lots of freedom in her choices.  My awesome cousin Karla also suggested that I have her read “easier” level books over and over so that her comfort and confidence will increase.

DSC06382

DSC06384

Both of the girls helped me make Play-dough one day this week.  We used Kool-Aide to color and scent each batch.  We made all the colors we had on hand, and the kids have played with them every day since!

DSC06392

DSC06404



DSC06280DSC06283

Olivia has moved on to letter C in her preschool lessons.  I love love love teaching preschool to my kids!  I’m pretty sure that I’ve mentioned that though….

DSC06293

DSC06338

You can see the rest of what she did in this detailed post:

Letter C

DSC06471

DSC06330

I’ve been thinking about changing up the kids chores again.  They are all ready for a switcheroo. 

DSC06376

(Doesn’t it look like snow in the window?)

DSC06499

Saturday we had our fake camping trip.  It was so fun!  Click here to see it.



Good Eats Mudpies and Makeup

From the looks of my pictures, we had a very bread-y week.

I swear I made other things too, I just forgot to take pictures.

DSC06318

DSC06321

DSC06400

DSC06473

I made a double batch of cinnamon rolls to take up on our fake camping trip.  They were pretty yummy, even though I only allowed myself a couple bites of one.  Winking smile

DSC06474

DSC06614

DSC06616






Our Weekly Wrap-Up

To see other Peek at our Weeks: Click here.

No comments: